Thursday, September 12, 2013

The first few months--real life


I can hardly believe Parker is already almost four months old!! I swear I fall in love with him again and again very single day. I'm not going to sugarcoat the truth and say that having a baby is easy and all rainbows all the time, because its not. What I'm going to do is share reality:
  Parker poops...a lot. Just today we were about to go swimming and he pooped in his swim diaper. Not cool. It's the reusable cloth kind so I couldn't just cut it off him I had to pull it down like a pull-up diaper and as you can probably visualize, as I pulled it down poop covered his legs and feet... Yay. 20 wipes, a bunch of toilet a paper (yup there was that much poop) and a few tears (mine not his) later we were again ready to swim. Oh and whoever made up the rumor that babies poop doesn't stink until they start solids needs to come smell Parker's. 
  Much less "me-time". Of course babies need lots of attention we all know that, but it didn't really hit me until I had my first experience peeing with him in my arms! Honestly, I love having him with me all the time but I feel this new sense of freedom when he is asleep sometimes! They say sleep when they sleep, definitely do this when they're really little, but now I just do everything I don't get done when he is awake and everything I can't do with only one arm or a baby strapped to my front! 
  Different " us-time"....in a good way. When Jeff gets home I say hi as sweet as I can possibly manage and hand off the little poop machine :. It is such a relief to have Jeff home in the evening and on the weekend. He provides a sense of stability and support during the cries (Parker's and mine), blow-outs (not mine...) and all other teeth clenching moments that come my way. Having a baby has helped Jeff and I respect and appreciate each other in so many new ways. Me for staying home with Parker during the week and him for working so hard all day and then coming home, cleaning up, doing bed time, offering love and support and all he can to help. We've realized that we both work hard during the day and have stopped trying to decide who works harder or deserves to rest more at the end of the day. A woman I met in some of my midwifery training gave me some marriage advice, she told me that from the start of her marriage she went on "walks and talks" several times a week. Doing this has not only given Parker and I the crucial fresh air we need sometimes but also it's an opportunity for Jeff and I to hold hands and just talk openly and freely. 
  One thing my mom shared with Jeff and I that we are trying to live is to not revolve our lives around Parker but to have his life revolve around ours. We bring him everywhere we go (although alone time is essential of course), he is like another appendage of mine. The cutest appendage ever :)



No comments:

Post a Comment